Whare: Te Awhe o te Rangi
Hapū: Ngāti Mākino
Waka: Te Arawa, Arawa
Rohe: Te Arawa
Iwi / Rūnanga: Ngāti Pikiao
Te Awhe o te Rangi is located in the small settlement of Maketu on the East coast of the Bay of Plenty. The pa is set atop low lying hill-tops immediately overlooking Maketū village. The last surviving wharenui on Maketū Pa is named Te Awhe o Te Rangi.
Te Awhe o te Rangi was built by Mita Te Rangituakoha (see pic) and was opened on 29 August 1872. It represents the mana of Ngāti Mākino.
In former times, other wharenui named Houmaitawhiti, Kawatapuarangi and Uenukumairarotonga used to also stand on Maketū Pa until their relocation to Rotoiti in the late 19th Century.
Historically Maketū Pa also represented the mana of Ngāti Whakaue ki Maketū until their 1928 relocation to nearby Tapiti (Whakaue) marae beside the Kaituna River/Estuary on the other side of the village.
Source: Maori Maps
Maketu Pa History
From information given in 1975 by Dick Mita of Maketu to Roger Neich' then an ethnologist at the National Museum and now curator of Ethnology at the Auckland War Memorial Museum, and from a study of early photographs and a 1931 survey plan, the sites of the carved houses and other structures in the pa were approximately as follows:
Kawatapuarangi was near the south-west corner of the pa and faced north-north-east. fts associated pataka (food siore) Nga-Putiputi-o-Niu-Tireni, faced it from a short distance to the north-north-east.
Houmaitawhiti stood near the southeast corner of the pa, also facing north-north-east.
Te Awhe, in the central part of the pa, was to the north-north-east of Kawatapuarangi and north-north-west of Houmaitawhiti and faced north north-east. The present Te Awhe meeting house (opened in 1951) is the third house of this name to be built on the site. The original Te Awhi pataka, built c1838, stood to the north-north-east of the meeting house (built 1872)' which it faced. The replacement pataka, built in 1910, is said to have stood on the same site and faced the second Te Awhe meeting house (built in 1904).
Uenuku-mai-Rarotonga meeting house stood on the eastern side of the pa and faced north-west towards Te Awhi pataka, which, like Te Awhe meeting house, appears to have been situated near the central part of the pa. Almost as well known as the carved houses and pataka mentioned here was the carved tomb, which was situated near the western cliff of the pa northward of Kawatapuarangi meeting house and westward of Te Awhe meeting house.
Source: Carved Houses of Maketu Alister Matheson (click the link to read more)
The Revitalisation of Te Awhe o Te Rangi
Te Awhe o te Rangi are currently undergoing restoration on their Tipuna Whare and are also in the process of building their new Wharekai.
Please feel free to assist with their fundraising efforts by donating generously.
Ehara taku toa, i te toa taki tahi, Kātahi ko taku toa he toa taki tini ā Mākino.
Toitū te mana, Toitū te whenua, Toitū te Tangata, Toi tū te Mākinotanga