Login to view or edit your profile

Log in

 Ngāti Mākino Iwi Authority

Otamarakau Marae





Vision

Marae ora

To maintain and uphold the mana of our Marae, as a focal platform that supports and strengthens the full potential of our whanau, hapū and iwi now and for our mokopuna to follow. 

The vision and developments of the Ōtamarākau marae are:

  • To be a place where, (the people of Ngāti Makino) can rise tall in oratory, weep for their dead, house their guests, have their meetings, feasts, weddings and reunions, sing and dance, hold wānanga, seminars, conferences and workshops
  • To ensure that the marae is a place with an atmosphere that is welcoming,   friendly and readily accessible to all descendants of Ngāti Makino, and their visitors
  • To upgrade, beautify and maintain the marae and its facilities for those of today and for generations to come
  • To foster and promote the learning of tikanga and knowledge of Māori culture for the people of Ngāti Makino

History

Ōtamarākau Marae is situated on the east coast of the Bay of Plenty just off State Highway 2.  Ideally located as it is central to the Bay's three major cities, Rotorua, Tauranga and Whakatane.  The marae complex itself is accessed from the main road via farm access. 

Otamarakau Marae was relocated to its present site in 1932.  Originally located within a major fortified pā site (Pā Mourea pictured) on the eastern side of the Waitahanui Stream.  The original hillock site, also contained an urupā, built up to a high point on the seaward side and terminates in a cliff above the beach which provided a commanding view of the surrounding countryside.  The name of the original whare was Koura. 

With the removal of danger from attacks in later years and an increase in the population the decision was made to relocate the marae to the western side of the stream where it stands today.  The present meeting house, Waitahanui-a-Hei, was built in 1932, and like its predecessor commands panoramic views of the coastline. 

A Makino tupuna, Te Peru, reigned supreme in the district around the period 1560.  Te Peru came from the unity of Tuhokai and Timata.  Peru lived at Waitahanui where he and his father established the village of Ōtamarākau.  His house there was Oteuiaroa.

Lands

Ōtamarākau Marae is located on two separate parcels of Māori freehold land known as:

  1. Ōtamarākau Native Reserve (Meeting House) 2B, and
  2. Ōtamarākau Native Reserve 2D3A No.2

Comprising of a total area of 0.7629 hectares

Ōtamarākau Marae was formally set aside as a Māori Reservation on 17 August 1972:

“Pursuant to section 439 of the Māori Affairs Act 1953, the Māori land described in the schedule hereto is hereby set apart as a Māori reservation for the purpose of a marae and benefit of Ngāti Makino and the Māori people of the district”

Confirmation by NZ Gazette: Notice No. 97 page 2648, 23 November 1972 and NZ Gazette: No. 130, page 2988, 11 July 1985.

    Otamarakau Marae Contacts

    Address: 

    2655 State Highway 3

    RD6, Otamarakau 

    Te Puke 3186


    Marae Committee

    Chairperson - Tutewharerimu Awhimate

    Secretary - Stewart Ngatai

    Treasurer - Margaret Williams

    Bookings - Tai Rapana


    To enquire about bookings for Otamarakau Marae please contact Tai Rapana at tai.rapana@gmail.com

    Ehara taku toa, i te toa taki tahi, Kātahi ko taku toa he toa taki tini ā Mākino.

    Toitū te mana, Toitū te whenua, Toitū te Tangata, Toi tū te Mākinotanga

    Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software